Castello di Artegna
Ever since the Roman Empire, a fortified settlement had been established on San Martino hill to control the Julia Augusta way. According to Lombard historian Paul the Deacon, in 610 it offered protection to the Cividale aristocracy fleeing from the Avars. During the Middle Ages two castles were erected: the upper castle was abandoned towards the end of the 18th century, the lower became the permanent dwelling of the Lords d’Artegna. Documented information regarding the estate and the feudal family dates back to 1253, when Guarnerio d’Artegna was confirmed as castle lord by Patriarch Gregorio da Montelongo. The castle was often the theatre of conflict between the Patriarchs and the Artegna family, and in 1293 passed briefly under the control of the neighbouring city of Gemona. It was almost completely destroyed in 1387 due to contrasts between the Artegna, Udine and Gemona noble families and the Patriarch. Reconstructed in 1410 and 1418 by order of Patriarch Ludwig von Teck, it later passed to the Savorgnan family who in 1499 sustained an assault by the Turks. After several changes in ownership, the castle finally became the property of Counts Bonati Savorgnan d’Osoppo, the current owners.